Tuesday, July 21, 2015

astro picture for the day/ Quote for the day


Image Credit & Copyright: Marco Lorenzi (Glittering Lights)

Yet another Pleiades picture, I know.  I know I've had a couple of them already, and the succeeding ones were more or less better than the last.  This one is just another new photograph of them.  I guess I just liked it!

Quote for the day,

"In a day when science is being discredited by messianic ignoramuses with enormous followings, it is well occasionally to recall the cliché, trite though it may be, that without this union of experiment and mathematics our civilization would not exist. Less trite is the more recent observation that because of this very union our civilization may cease to exist. And, while we are facing facts, we note the opinion of many observers that ever since the days of Aquinas science has been feared or secretly hated by nine human beings out of every ten who have sufficient animation to hate or fear anything. Science has been grudgingly tolerated since the days of Galileo and Newton only because I s has increased material wealth. If science dies, mathematics dies with it." - E.T. Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment