Saturday, July 13, 2013

thought for the day/ Disruptive technology disproven; or at least generalised beyond Eric Drexler's wildest dreams


I've seen many documentaries about the beginnings space program that led to the Apollo space program, but this was 1) a new one, 2) I liked it.  I'm not sure why I like this one over all others; so, I guess we'll see if others like watching it!

I wrote this recently; considering no reply from all the 'disruptive technology' lovers, I'd say I've won the argument; so, I'm posting it here,

The reason why Malthusian doomsday scenarios have always failed is because more knowledge allows us to overcome the limitations/efficiencies of our previous knowledge(Malthuses overpopulation theories also led to Darwin's "Natural Selection"; so it led to something real).
But, along comes Eric Drexler with his "disruptive technology", and everyone jumps on the idea for one personal reason or another no doubt. Ope, maybe the Malthusian nightmare scenario will happen due to Eric Drexler's fight against future shock or something like that. I think Eric Drexler's original motivation was what happens when an economy spins out of control due to super advanced products hitting the market. I had argued that we need an Isaac Asimov "Foundation" so that knowledge/skills isn't lost due to whatever social chaos might come from some sudden technological advance. To say the least, the vagaries of everyones wish/fear of "disruptive technology' has kept everyone from taking my idea seriously.

------------------------------------------science extra for the day

I don't want to get into all the famous volcanic eruptions, like Mount St Helens, Pinatobo, and the list goes on. But, a recent breakthrough in how volcanoes work has been published(linked below).


A hugh volcano, almost Mount Vesuvius like, has been erupting on and off and threatening Mexico city for a long time.  Recently, our technological age has gotten some great video of its smaller bursts.


Popocatepetl erupted again a few weeks after the electrifying blast above. 

major understanding of how volcanoes work

No comments:

Post a Comment